Money Saving Kitchen Tips
Check Your Kitchen Appliances
If your refrigerator has an anti-sweat feature, use only if necessary. Refrigerators work to cool your food but they also heat the area around the door seal to prevent condensation (anti-sweat feature). Using the anti-sweat feature requires 5% to 10% more energy. If your refrigerator has a power-saving switch that limits the amount of time the anti-sweat feature is enabled, use it. Turn it off if you don’t need it!
Tips & Advice for Refrigerators
- Clean refrigerator coils annually.
- Set the refrigerator temperature to 35º – 37ºF and the freezer temperature to 0º – 5ºF.
- Make sure gaskets around the door seal tightly.
- Let hot food cool before storing in the refrigerator.
Tips for Microwave & Stoves
- Use your microwave for cooking when possible.
- When cooking on a stove, use pot lids to help food cook faster.
- If you are heating water, use hot tap water instead of cold water.
Advice for Garbage Disposals & Dishwashers
- Use cold water for the garbage disposal.
- Rinse dirty dishes with cold water before putting them into the dishwasher.
- Run the dishwasher only when it is full.
- Use the air-dry cycle instead of the heat-dry cycle on your dishwasher.