Electrical Panel Services
Upgrade Your Lexington, SC Home’s Breaker Box
The electrical panel in your home is the center of your home’s power. It connects everything in your home to the power grid and distributes electrical power evenly, all while controlling that connection safely. Over time an electrical panel starts to not function and will eventually need to be replaced. For precise and safe electrical panel services, turn to the pros at Carolina Conditions. Serving the Lexington, SC area since 2008, we are the skilled local electricians you are looking for!
When you consider how many things we plug in these days, your electrical panel is an essential part of your home’s comfort and functionality.
Do I Need A Panel Upgrade?
- Age - Is your panel more than 30 years old? Panels that were built that long ago were not designed to handle the amount of energy we put on an electrical system today. A panel typically lasts between 30 - 40 years so if you have one that is older it may be time to upgrade.
- Fuses - Newer homes use circuit breakers to control the electricity flowing through your home, but your panel may still use fuses. Electricians consider the use of fuses to be outdated and will likely recommend replacement.
- Functionality Of System - Do your lights flicker? Do your circuits trip often? These may be signs that your panel is overloaded and you need one that can handle a higher amount of electricity.
Upgrade When You Remodel
Are you in an older home that needs to be remodeled? Most likely you’ll be getting new appliances and may add outlets or lighting. A renovation is a perfect time to upgrade your electrical panel to handle all of your updated electrical needs.
There are hundreds of house fires in our state every year that are caused by an electrical malfunction. Make sure you and your family are protected from faulty wiring or improperly installed circuits with the professional services from Carolina Conditions. Our electricians are not only certified but come with years of training and experience. Partnering with us is the best of both worlds, as we provide quality service at reasonable prices.
The cost of replacing an electrical panel can range from $530 to $1,962, with most households spending about $1,174. The cost of replacing electrical panel items such as wires and breakers is determined by the type of replacement or repair required. The cost is also affected by the kind of breaker box, its size, and its position within the property. The job's complexity largely determines the overall cost.
Here are the top three indicators that your electrical panel should be changed.
- Your electrical panel has been in service for more than 25 years.
While you should avoid replacing a functional panel, if it is more than 25 years old, you should get it evaluated by a competent electrician. Even if your home's electrical panel appears to be in good condition, modern houses have more electrical needs than in the past, so even if your panel does not need to be changed out, it may need to be brought up to date.
- Your panel is hot or has a burnt odor.
Overheating should cause your breaker to trip, safeguarding your house from fire. However, if your electrical panel is hot to the touch or smells burnt, this might show a considerable hazard.
- You've seen rust on your electrical panel.
Rust is a terrible indicator for your electrical panel since it indicates water damage. If you fear water damage to your panel or notice rust or corrosion on it, you should contact an electrician immediately to have it evaluated.
If you lack proper training and expertise, taking on this type of project on your own is not just a terrible idea; it might also be dangerous and end up costing you more money to resolve than if you had hired a professional to perform the work in the first place.
Also, depending on your region and insurance coverage, replacing the breaker box yourself might get you in hot water. For example, the city may need a permit and inspection, making a do-it-yourself project impossible.