Healthy Water Heater Tips
Hot Water Heaters Tips near Columbia SC
Tips for maintaining a healthy water heater, and it might save you some money.
- Set your water heater temperature no higher than 120ºF. For households with 1 or 2 members, an 115ºF may work for you.
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions for installing water heater wraps. Insulation is easy and an inexpensive way to improve energy efficiency and save you money each month. Insulation could reduce heat losses by 25% – 45% and save from 4% – 9% in water heating costs. If you can’t decide whether or not to insulate your water heater, touch it. A tank that is warm to the touch needs additional insulation. Note: Newer Water Heaters have sufficient insulation.
- Drain 1-2 gallons from the bottom of the water heater each year. This reduces sediment build-up.
- Install heat traps on hot and cold water lines when it is time to replace your water heater. Heat traps allow cold water to flow into the water heater tank, but prevent unwanted convection and heated water to flow out of the tank. Note: Newer water heaters have built-in heat traps. Insulate exposed hot water lines.
- Limit shower length to 5 – 7 minutes. That is plenty of time to get you good and clean.
- Install low-flow showerheads.
- Repair dripping faucets. You would be amazed at the amount of water that can accumulate with a dripping faucet.
- Cut the water off while you are shaving and brushing your teeth. Everything that goes down the drain is a waste. Image it is gasoline at $3.60 a gallon. It will help you conserve.
Following some or all of these tips will help you save more and be more energy efficient. Carolina Conditions serves the Columbia area with professional plumbing and water heater services from licensed plumbers.Money Saving Tips on Your Laundry » « Frozen Pipes?